Saturday, February 23, 2008

Step 2 - the tests

Once the ten days were up, we went to the hospital to get a whole battery of eye-tests done on my eyes. We landed in the morning around 9.00a and were told that the tests would take a bit longer than than half a day (it wound up taking more than that).

AIE has streamlined the testing process a lot. The test themselves did not take too long - but sometimes the waiting did, thanks to the huge crowds. They ran a whole series of tests - I really don't remember what they were. But none of them were uncomfortable or painful.

Finally, around some 3.00p in the afternoon, we were told that I was a good candidate for Lasik surgery. I was to report at the hospital at 9.00a the next morning. After some final tests, the actual surgery would be done. I could probably be heading back home after surgery later in the noon.

Phew - I was actually going to get the surgery done? Wow!

That evening, everything went normally. No one at my house was unduly anxious or perturbed. I did a last google check to hunt down news of anyone who became blind after getting lasik done - but nopes, couldn't find anything. Oh well, worst case was not going to happen then - I was good!

That night I slept quite well, not excited but wondering curiously if that day had really been my last day of wearing spectacles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi archana!
my friend and i are thinking seriously of getting the lasik done this year. i was thinking of coming to india and get it done there - but am myopic and got astigmatism in one eye. wonder whether it will work! anyway am eager to read more of the experience. do write about it.

Deeps said...

Sad to see it end abruptly. Would love to read about the entire experience, so please do write when you get the time. Plus want to know how much it cost and how are you feeling after more than 2 years now.

I have been short sighted for about 8 years now (its not very bad) and been thinking about LASIK for a long time and I don't really have any relatives or friends who have undergone the surgery. So your experience would really help :).